Archive for April, 2011

Morro Ayutla

After our early morning departure yesterday from the last anchorage, we dropped the hook about 30 miles west in another little nook.  Finally, last night we got a good nights sleep as the wind died and with it, much of the rollers.  We are rocked in here by a southerly swell coming right off the Pacific Ocean but it makes for a mostly gentle rocking.

More boat projects this morning and relaxing and resting the rest of the day as we read our way thru yet more books. Huatulco is only about 30 miles further up the coast, one or possibly two more hops away.

Early Morning Departure

Our day spent at the Bahía Chipehua anchorage was quite comfortable after the morning SE winds clocked around to a more SW direction.  We were to bed early, so had several hours of sleep before the winds picked up.  Actually slept for more hours after we checked the winds out and realized that they were off the land.  But when the swells started coming into the bay around the north point and Lanikai rolled from side to side it was time to leave.

This morning we left the bay of Chipehue long before sunrise, as the northerly winds that had started to blow at about 10PM were bringing big swells from the NE into the bay. Even though the winds that were hitting Lanikai were from the N and off the land, the waves out in the gulf rounded the shallow point to our north and entered the bay.  It just got too rolly for sleep (or much else), so we upped the anchor and sailed further west along the Mexican coast.  We had a struggle to get moving out of the bay in the dark but soon had the sail up and enjoyed a nice downwind run for about 1 1/2 hours.  We jibed to our SW course and lo-and-behold we had head-winds from the SW… the “prevailing noserlies” for sailboat travelers.

 

Anchor down in Mexico

We dropped the hook this morning in a little bay protected from the north and west, almost at the head of the infamous Gulf of Tehuantepec, after a 5-day passage.  The passage was basically uneventful with some great sails and lots of motor sailing in light wind.   We did hit some rough water off of Guatemala with Papagayo winds, but the sailing was great and the seas were not a problem until the wind died then we rolled for several hours before the seas calmed.   We also had some wild seas last evening with the westerly winds so it was very nice to get anchored, even though the seas had calmed by then and the wind was light.  Still about 55 miles to go to get to Huatulco, but stronger northerly winds are expected in the next day so we decided to play it safe and get some rest.

Happy Easter

We are now off of Nicaragua enjoying a great sail.  Bill spent more time on the shaft seal yesterday morning before we left the anchorage and thought that he had stopped the leak.  It no longer leaks while the engine is off and we are under sail at the moment, but it still leaks somewhere when we are motoring.  But the leak is way down and we only have to pump the bilge about every 6 hours now.

We got a SW breeze after getting away from the land and enjoyed a nice sail until about midnight when it all shut down.  Within an hour the wind had picked up from the east and we enjoyed a great sail until that too died this afternoon.  Now we are motor sailing in the left over sloppy seas but that will also calm now that the wind is down.  We have run into a favorable current, so for now we are making good time at about 6 knots and sometimes more.

P4250005

The seas eventually flattened in the calm conditions and we enjoyed a very nice motor boat ride.

Heading North

We dropped the hook in Bahía Brasilito toward the north end of Costa Rica early this morning after a fast overnight passage from Bahía Ballena.  The passage was so fast (with a favorable current) that we had to stop and drift for three hours in the middle of the night so we could make a daylight entrance into the bay.  We are going to spend the day here and let the engine cool so that Bill can check out his repairs and adjust the leaking-too-fast shaft seal on the engine shaft.  We have had to pump the bilge about every 2 hours to keep the bilge water alarm from sounding.  This is not unusual after a haul out and the boat needs to be run for some time before the final adjustments can be made correctly since we have a drip-less seal on the shaft.  When it is correctly adjusted it should drip no water.

Next leg of the journey should take us all the way to Mexico – about a week away – to the southern-most port, Puerto Madero.