South to Trujillo, Peru

Thursday July 5, we moved on further south to Trujillo. The bus ride was only 4 hours long, continuing thru the desert. South of Chiclayo there are many more small villages and farm plots than north of the city; everywhere that small rivers descend from the Andes, the desert blooms. At the bus station in Trujillo we managed to avoid the mob of taxi drivers while collecting our luggage. With our bags in hand we selected a taxi to take us to the fishing village of Huanchaco. We had him drop us off by the pier and Doreen waited with our packs while Bill searched out a room. We have a nice size room at “Hostal Los Esteros” overlooking the beach, just across the street from it. We watched some of the reed boats coming back in thru the surf before heading downstairs for a late lunch/dinner.

We spent the next two days relaxing and enjoying the slower beach atmosphere. On Sunday July 8, we took a morning combi (a van-sized “bus”) into the city of Trujillo itself. The driver dropped us off near the long distance bus terminals. After checking on bus lines to Lima, we walked to the central plaza, taking photos of the interesting colonial architecture along the way. Many of the buildings have lace-like grillwork on their windows and there are several types of hanging balconies on others. We stopped at Iglesia San Francisco and were between services, so got to view the interior with its many large altars. The main altar is gold but there are others along each side of the nave – some just as intricate and large as the main one! We exited the church by a side door and the women were selling tamales to raise funds for a mission. Bill and I purchased two that we enjoyed on a nearby park bench. Real tamales again!! The were very delicious. We went inside the Cathedral on the Plaza Mayor but a service was in progress so we only got a peek.

Following another street from the plaza, we looked into Hotel America. It is a very old colonial hotel and in its day was quite elegant, but is quite run down now. The desk clerk let us look around inside – not a place that we would choose to stay, but interesting to see. Following the road further brought us to a small park with a saved section of the ruins of the old colonial-era water system that brought water to the city for the many gardens – but drinking water for the residences came from private wells in each home.

We caught a taxi at the main plaza back to Huanchaco, 10 Soles or about $3 US for the ride. We arrived back in town in time to enjoy a cold beer at an upstairs restaurant overlooking the beach and pier. After two cold days at the beach the sun finally made its appearance, warming up the area just a bit.